Chair: Ellie Mees ’18
Meeting Time: Wednesdays 9 pm
Meeting Location: Student Government Suite
The Student Government Communications Committee focuses on publicizing the work of the Senate and Executive Board using a variety of social media, posters and face-to-face contact. SGC connects student government with the student body through public relations events that collect student input and address student needs.
The committee utilizes a variety of communication media throughout the campus and capital region, facilitating dialog and communication among student government, the Rensselaer administration, and the RPI student body.
- Publicity Schedule and Calendar — Establishing and maintaining a regular schedule for Student Government publicity updates on social media.
- Committee One-Pagers — Official one-page summary primers maintained by each committee to advertise major projects and drive involvement.
- Tabling Procedure — Regular in-person tabling, focused promotion of major issues and projects currently pursued by Student Government, and direct face-time with constituents.
- Postering Template — Development of a standard template for posters, released on a bi-weekly basis to describe major Student Government.
- Senate-Executive Board Social Events — Providing entertaining events and group bonding for Student Government members.
- Scoops with the Senate — Interactive program serving Ice Cream in Freshman residence halls and leading mock Senate debates to encourage student government participation
- Dinner with the Senate — Taking place in dining halls across campus, Senators made themselves available in their Red polos to collect feedback on Senate projects and listen to student concerns
- Public Forums — Student Government communications supports the Senate, Executive Board, and all committees by coordinating public forum for significant or controversial discussion topics throughout the year
- Red Polo Days — Senators increased visibility on campus by selecting certain days to wear their Red polo to class and staff information tables in the DCC, CII Plaza, and Union Lobby
Additional Info: The Student Government Communications Committee acts as a joint committee between the Student Senate and Executive Board, responsible for promoting the projects and initiatives of both bodies.